Study Groups consist of 12-16 participants, each of whom research and present a topic of their choice within the scope of the termâ€™s chosen topic. Meeting on consecutive Wednesday mornings, these Groups provide a wonderful opportunity for sharing knowledge amongst friends.
Starting 29 March 2017
All over the world, women are doing wonderful things. While many of us have heard of many of them, other remarkable women remain remarkably less known. Whether they are involved in politics, or business, or education, or health care, or the environment, they are out there getting stuff done and racking up milestones.
Pick a favorite-impressive-intriguing! lady (or 2 or 3) from Asia, and join us for a certainly stimulating series of Wednesdays!
Below we have suggested some personalities - randomly organized by country – but do feel free to pick someone we have not included on this list:
• Bangladesh: Sheikh Hasina Wazed, PM; Tasleema Nasrin, writer
• China: Cixi, Empress Dowager; Lucy Peng (Peng Lei), co-founder of e-commerce giant Alibaba; the Soong sisters (Ai Ling, Mei Ling, & Ching Ling); Wu Zetian, the only Empress regnant of China.
• Hong Kong: Margaret Chan, World Health Organization Director General (image)
• India: Indira Gandhi, PM (image); Kiran Bedi, police commissioner; Chipko movement, forest conservation
• Indonesia: Kartini, education & girls' rights
• Japan: Lioness Asuka, professional wrestler ; Renho Murata, Democratic party leader; Yuriko Koike, Tokyo governor
• Mongolia: Sorghaghtani Beki, daughter-in-law of Genghis Khan and mother of Kublai Khan (image)
• Myanmar: Aung San Suu Kyi, Nobel Peace Laureate and everything but PM
• Nepal: Bidya Devi Bhandari, president
• Pakistan: Benazir Bhutto, PM; Malala Yousafzai, education & girls' rights
• Philippines: Corazon Aquino, president; Gloria Macapagal Arroyo, president
• Singapore: Ho Ching, Temasek CEO
• South Korea: Park Geun-Hye, president
• Taiwan: Tsai Ing Wen, president
• Thailand: Queen Sirikit
• U.A.E.: Sheikha Lubna Al Qasimi, Minister of Tolerance